Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Paul Pierce Makes a Funny

So my dislike of Paul Pierce as a player is no secret.

In a late November's Boston Globe, Paul Pierce said the following:
''I don't know why I'm not on the All-Defensive team every year. I think I'm a pretty good defender. The only reason I'm not on the All-Defensive team year in and year out is because I don't have a top-five shot blocker on my team. If you look at all the top perimeter defenders in the league, they all have top-five shot blockers in the league (on their team).

Kobe (Bryant) fell out of first team All-Defensive when Shaq got traded last year. Think about it. Every team that has an All-Defensive team wing player has a shot blocker on their team. I think that's the only thing that's holding me back. Even Tayshaun Prince. I don't think he plays great defense. He has two of the best shot blockers in the game (Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace). If a guy blows by you, then the shot blockers block the shot; and you call that great defense."


Well, for me, part of the irony is that I partly didn't like him because he is lazy on defense. Now why do I dislike him even more because of that? Because he is right. He is a talented defender. And having a legit shot blocker helps your perimeter defense. And, he is actually a better on the ball defender - and definitely a better team defender - than someone like - say - Kobe Bryant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home